Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Wednesday Wisdom: As Far as the Eye Can See


AS FAR AS THE EYE CAN SEE


No one ever injured their eyesight by looking on the bright side. Author Unknown 
 


 

About 18 months ago, I underwent major retinal surgery to repair bleeding inside my left eye. It was a frightening experience that I wouldn't wish on anyone. Fortunately, the procedure was successful.

The doctor warned me that this particular kind of surgery would cause cataracts within a few months. As he predicted, I soon had cataracts in both eyes, leading to two rounds of cataract surgery last year.

Two weeks ago I began experiencing bleeding in my right eye. Fearing the worst, I went immediately to my retina doctor. Through a combination of injections and laser treatment, we were able to head off the problem and avoid additional surgery. Whew! Close call.

As I thought about these ongoing difficulties with my eyes and the danger I faced, I recognized that I had a choice of how I could look at this situation: I could say "Woe is me. Why do I have all these troubles? Life just isn't fair."

Or I could say, "Wow, how fortunate I am. I live in a time and place of miracles. If I had been born in any other century, or even today in some other parts of the world, by this point in my life I would be blind. Instead, I still have my eyesight. I can see! I can observe the gorgeous sunrise during my morning walks. I can gaze appreciatively at my beautiful wife and children and grandchildren. I can read, I can watch TV, I can drive myself to work."

I have decided to take the second path. I choose to look on the bright side.

There is so much to be thankful for. I hope I never take for granted all the blessings we enjoy on this wonderful planet. As a child, I learned and loved this uplifting song:


Whenever I hear the song of a bird
Or look at the blue, blue sky,
Whenever I feel the rain on my face
Or the wind as it rushes by,

Whenever I touch a velvet rose
Or walk by our lilac tree,
I'm glad that I live in this beautiful world
Heavenly Father created for me.

He gave me my eyes that I might see
The color of butterfly wings.
He gave me my ears that I might hear
The magical sound of things.

He gave me my life, my mind, my heart:
I thank him reverently
For all his creations, of which I'm a part.
Yes, I know Heavenly Father loves me.


Life is full of difficulties and rough spots, to be sure. But even with all its challenges, there is so much beauty and goodness in it, if only we will decide to look for it.

I've decided that I will choose to be happy and grateful. No one ever injured their eyesight by looking on the bright side of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment