Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Wednesday Wisdom - Yes, You Fill the World with Love

YES, YOU FILL THE WORLD WITH LOVE


"The happiness of our spouse is more important than our own pleasure."
 
Neil L. Anderson 

     
  

Forty-two years ago today, I was three days away from the most monumental and joyful step of my life - my eternal marriage to Marcie. Ours was a whirlwind courtship, but because of our separate life-changing experiences as missionaries in Brazil and Chile, we understood what we were getting into and were prepared to commit everything to each other, forever.
I knew I was marrying way over my head, but I didn't fully appreciate then just how far out of my league I was. I was aware of her kindness, her concern for the happiness of others, and her depth of character and conviction. I was not aware, however, of how driven she was to live her life in harmony with Petula Clark's lyrics from one of her favorite movies, "Goodbye, Mister Chips."
In the morning of my life I shall look to the sunrise
At the moment of my life when the world is new
And the blessing I shall ask is that God will grant me:
To be brave and strong and true
And to fill the world with love my whole life through.

And to fill the world with love
And to fill the world with love
And to full the world with love
My whole life through.

Over the years, we built our lives together and made room in our little nest for six darling, beautiful, and talented children. She was such a patient, thoughtful, and devoted mother. Her love for me, for them, and for the rest of the world continued to grow.

 

Her example influenced me to share her quest to be brave and strong and true, and to fill the world with love our whole lives through. Over time, I learned to sing and apply in my life the second verse of her theme song:

In the noontime of my life I shall look to the sunshine
At a moment of my life when the sky is blue
And the blessing I shall ask will remain unchanging:
To be brave and strong and true
And to fill the world with love my whole life through.

And to fill the world with love
And to fill the world with love
And to full the world with love
My whole life through.



Now, 42 years into this wonderful adventure, our nest is empty, our hair is gray, and our pace is a little slower. I push her wheelchair whenever we go out, and she in turn still gently pushes me and inspires me to become the person described in her song.

In the evening of my life I shall look to the sunset
At the moment of my life when the night is due.
And the question I shall ask only God can answer:
Was I brave and strong and true?
Did I fill the world with love my whole life through?

Did I fill the world with love?
Did I fill the world with love?
Did I fill the world with love
My whole life through?


   

She still strives to bring that song to life. She still asks herself in the sunset of our lives how God will answer the question. I, however, have no doubt what He will say about her. Of all the lives that have been touched by her kindness, affection, and compassion, none has been more blessed than mine.


Yes, my dearest, you are brave and strong and true, and always have been. And yes, dear Marcie, you have filled the world with love your whole life through. I'm so glad you've made me a central part of your wonderful, loving world. Happy Anniversary, Marcie.

No comments:

Post a Comment