Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Wednesday Wisdom - Prime Time



PRIME TIME       

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." 
- Steve Martin  
   
Are you a morning person, a night person, or somewhere in between? I'm definitely a morning person; I do my best creative work (such as writing or designing a workshop or polishing a new SunBridge tool) when I'm fresh and the day is new. I'm far more productive and efficient, and the ideas seem to flow effortlessly.

But lately I've allowed a bad habit to invade my daily routine. When I go to my computer first thing in the morning, I feel compelled to read Google News and Facebook and then all the collateral articles and other "shiny things" I find there. I justify it as "catching up." Before I realize it, I've wasted an hour or more of my best working/creative/thinking time. Silly me.

Here's an old saying that's good advice for you and for myself: "Make hay while the sun shines." Organize your day so you can do your most important work during your most energetic and creative hours. Then stick to your plan. When it's Prime Time - whatever part of the day that is for you - don't fritter away those hours with lower-tier activities. Do your best work at your best time. There will be sufficient time in your off-peak hours for less critical tasks, but not if you've wasted Prime Time.

No comments:

Post a Comment