Monday, February 1, 2016

Wednesday Wisdom - Crisis Management

CRISIS MANAGEMENT        


"There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full."  
- Henry A. Kissinger



Usually when my schedule is too full for a crisis, it means the same thing as when I can't find an important paper lost somewhere in my office: I've let my life or my office get too cluttered.  I've let urgent things get in the way of important things. 

Allowing unimportant stuff to encumber our calendars or our desks saps our energy and makes us joyless and inefficient.  The only cure is to take time to re-evaluate our priorities and then get rid of clutter.  "Things that matter most should never be at the mercy of things that matter least." - Stephen R. Covey.

Like barnacles clinging to the hull of a ship, clutter creates drag, requiring us to exert unnecessary energy to move ahead. Like a barnacle-encrusted ship, sometimes we need to put our calendars and our offices in dry-dock and scrape them clean.  For me, it's time and effort well spent. And it feels so good once it's done!


No comments:

Post a Comment